Therapeutic Areas and Products
Allergy and Immunology
Our world-leading immunoglobulin (Ig) franchise is the cornerstone of the immunology therapeutic area. Our efforts in this area focus on bringing trusted products and technologies to serve patients with a range of rare and serious diseases, including Primary Immunodeficiencies (PID) and Hereditary Angioedema (HAE).
Primary Humoral Immunodeficiency
Privigen is indicated as replacement therapy for primary humoral immunodeficiency (PID). This includes, but is not limited to, the humoral immune defect in congenital agammaglobulinemia, common variable immunodeficiency (CVID), X-linked agammaglobulinemia, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome, and severe combined immunodeficiencies.
Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura
Privigen is indicated for the treatment of patients age 15 years and older with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) to raise platelet counts.
WARNING: THROMBOSIS, RENAL DYSFUNCTION AND ACUTE RENAL FAILURE
- Thrombosis may occur with immune globulin products, including Privigen. Risk factors may include advanced age, prolonged immobilization, hypercoagulable conditions, history of venous or arterial thrombosis, use of estrogens, indwelling vascular catheters, hyperviscosity, and cardiovascular risk factors.
- Renal dysfunction, acute renal failure, osmotic nephrosis, and death may occur with immune globulin intravenous (IGIV) products in predisposed patients. Renal dysfunction and acute renal failure occur more commonly in patients receiving IGIV products that contain sucrose. Privigen does not contain sucrose.
- For patients at risk of thrombosis, renal dysfunction or renal failure, administer Privigen at the minimum dose and infusion rate practicable. Ensure adequate hydration in patients before administration. Monitor for signs and symptoms of thrombosis and assess blood viscosity in patients at risk for hyperviscosity.
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning.
- History of anaphylactic or severe systemic reaction to human immune globulin
- Hyperprolinemia (PRIVIGEN contains the stabilizer L-proline)
- IgA-deficient patients with antibodies to IgA and a history of hypersensitivity